This is the easiest chicken and steak prego roll recipe that can quickly be cooked on the braai or fried in a pan on the stove. We used Rooibaard Original and Rooibaard Groen Trui sauces to marinade the meat but you can use your favourite peri-peri sauce instead. These prego rolls are delicious served with a fresh salad and slap chips, and are a great way to feed a crowd on a budget.
The Easiest Braai Chicken and Steak Prego Rolls
- Chicken breasts
- Rump, sirloin or minute steaks
- Rooibaard Groen Trui
- Rooibaard Original
- Portuguese rolls
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomato
- Bash chicken breasts and steaks with a rolling pin or meat mallet until they are about 1/2cm thick.
- Add the flattened chicken breasts to a bowl and pour over enough Rooibaard Groen Trui sauces to cover all the meat. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and store in the fridge until the braai is ready.
- Do the same with the flattened steaks, but using the Rooibaard original sauce.
- While the meat marinades in the fridge, slice up the red onion and tomatoes, and cut and butter the rolls.
- Braai the steaks and chicken, while basting with the excess sauce.
- Assemble the rolls with chicken or steak, as well as the sliced onion and tomato. Add more Rooibaard sauce to the roll if you prefer it hotter, or add mayonnaise to tame the spice.
- Serve with slap chips or a fresh green salad.